Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Flash gel question

Sold5Sold5 Member
edited May 2018 in flash & lighting
I have a local church with peach/ orange coloured walls. In lightroom with shots taken without flash the white balance is about 300k with minus 40 on tint ie more gteen than magenta.

Would you gel your flash if using bounced flash here? every wall the flash will bounce off is this peach colour. Lighting is from high level windows at the top of the very tall walls just under the roof.

Comments

• dbrunodbruno Member
    I've had this issue in the past, and I think in the end I would not gel the flash. But, I would wait for more people to weigh in.

Sounds like your flash will not be the dominant light source. If I had to do things over in the same situation, I probably would have relied much more on exposing for the ambient and it's color temp, and use the un-gelled flash to give catchlights and maybe boost shadows.

Again, wait for more experienced people to weigh in (hopefully). I'll be waiting for them too!!

Dave
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    I mostly just gel my flash if I am trying to BALANCE it with the existing light - in this case, incandescent light. The incandescent light can be in the background, or partially illuminating my subject. 

Then I gel my flash accordingly ... and if the walls and ceiling are a warm tint, then I might not even use a gel. Or only a 1/2 CTS. Or even a 1/4 CTS. It depends on how warm the walls and ceilings are, and how warm the existing light is.