Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Answered: Can Profoto A1 replace Nikon SB-900?

StephenStephen Member
edited April 20 in flash & lighting
I have a pair of Nikon SB-900 speedlights.  Some time has elapsed since the Profoto A1 was released. 
If you have used both, do you feel that the Profoto A1 is sufficient to replace the SB-900 (or SB-5000) in the workflow?

EDIT: In reviewing Neil's A1 review when the device came out, it seems to me the A1 is usable as a SB-900 replacement.
Tagged:

Comments

• bobh665bobh665 Member
    You may want to take a look at the Godox V1. It compares very well to the Profoto for only $259. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K8G_5X8hM8
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    Bob,

Just watched it and did a little digging around, and yeah, I reckon this would be a great little goer in my books.

I already have several Godox products, the 180/360/AD600BM's, etc., and they work great.

Trev
  • StephenStephen Member
    Bobh665,
    Thanks for the link to the video comparing the Profoto A1 and Godox V1.  That was certainly an interesting review of the two.   I will certainly have to put the Godox V1 (and the Flashpoint rebrand at Adorama) on my list.
  • StephenStephen Member
    I also heard back from Neil when I asked him about a photo that used the A1.  He still uses his Nikon speedlights in certain situations, particularly if he needs consistent high ISO output.  He uses the A1 when he needs more power and needs to hit the flash hard.
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    What I love about the Profoto A1 flashes, is that I can use them as controllers as well. In that way they work seamlessly with the larger Profoto flashes that I use. 

That said, I prefer the Nikon Sb-5000 when I need to use bounce flash at high ISO settings. It is more predictable. So I still have those in my camera bag. 
  • StephenStephen Member
    Thanks for the chiming in, Neil.

The A1s ability to serve as a wireless, non-infrared transmitter is a big reason I'm interested.  I'm tired of using PocketWizards to attach to my SB-900s.  It's just too much equipment.
  • lissa77lissa77 Member
    I am using Profoto A1, The Profoto A1 is the new on-camera flash, off-camera flash And Air remote. You can use it any way you like. So for me it's good....!!
  • I decided to go with the Godox V1 for now, as the Profoto A1 and A1x are out of my budget.  I don't earn money from my photography, so I am unable to fund more expensive gear for the time being.

The Godox V1 works fine for my needs.  The white balance seems more blue than the standard flash color temperature, so I adjusted the custom temperature setting of my camera to compensate.