Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Fusion

Jeff_LawrenceJeff_Lawrence Member
edited July 2011 in wedding photography
After finally getting time to catch up on my favorite blog, I noticed Neils fusion video http://oneperfectmoment.com/blog/2011/06/22/rula-james-wedding-day-fusion-clip/

Something I have been meaning to try.

Point being:

Who was shooting the video
Was there anything used to stabilize the camera
Focus techniques?
All the juicy details...

Second point:

GREAT VIDEO NEIL!

Comments

• Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    We're working on another Fusion clip which should be ready in a day or two.
    I'll post more techie details with that.

Jessica shoots & edits the video.
  • ZenonZenon Member
    You can sure see the colour difference in the video and photos. I can only guess but it looks like the photos were gelled.
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    The still shots had the flash gelled, to match (or partially match) the existing light.

The video was shot using the existing light.
    So the discrepancy in color balance isn't because of me gelling the flash. That should in fact help.

The discrepancy comes in, in that I edit my RAW files for a pleasant WB, while the WB for the video shots are mostly left as is. It is outside the scope of what I want to achieve with these clips, to match the WB more closely.

Ultimately though, the WB changes don't bother me.
  • ZenonZenon Member
    I thought the photos looked great. I like the difference between the video and photos. The video shows what our eyes actually did see. The photos show more natural skin tones and the whites look correct.

I asked this question about a year in other forums ago preparing for my first wedding. When you gel your images do not appear like the event you witnessed - usually under tungsten lighting. However this will make the dress and skin tones look yellow if the flash does not overpower the ambient lighting. May be good for effects on a few shots but white is preferable I think. To me anyway.
  • Hi Neil, can you do a piece on the hardware and software Jessica uses for your videos?