Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Traveling for fun with a FF DSLR?

rtcaryrtcary Member
edited August 2011 in general photography
I would like to find out how other photographers travel for fun with a FF DSLR. My lens selection is limited: 28-70 f/2.8, 80-200 f/2.8 and a 50 f/1.4. The zooms are just too heavy; too much like work.

Yes, there are cameras other than the FF DSLR, but a FF has a way of spoiling me.

Todd

Comments

• Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    I'd just settle for the 24-70 then, and forego the opportunities I'd lose with the longer lens.
    Or alternately, get the Nikon 24-120mm f4 or Canon 24-105mm f4
    Those two lens have excellent image quality and a versatile range.
  • ZenonZenon Member
    edited August 2011
    When we travel and have a home base and do day trips I take as much gear as I can which includes, 5DII, 7D, 24-105, 70-200 F4, 300 F4, Tokina 11-16, 100 macro, 1.4 extender, tripod and on my last trip I rented as Zeiss 24mm. These go into two backpack bags. I make sure they are both under the overhead storage weight restrictions.

If I am travelling light my 7D, Tokina 11-16, 24-105, 70-200 and 1.4 extender. Tripod optional. This goes into one backpack bag. I take my 7D instead of my 5D because I don't have a FF WA lens yet that can match my Tokina/7D combo IQ yet. Even though I really like it the 24-105 @ 24 is not that good.
  • I usually just take my 50 1.4 with my FF DSLR. Having a fast lens helps in low light as my 5DII doesn't have a flash :P
  • I find I return from a trip with better pictures when I travel light. I shoot with a D700 and the only two lenses I bring are the 16-35mm and 85mm F1.4. You could do the same sort of thing with Canon. A small Lowepro slingshot leaves enough room for filters, memory cards and cleaning stuff and doesn't hamper mobility. I'm comfortable carrying this kit all day.