Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Grey market lens

RoseRose Member
edited August 2011 in general photography
I was looking on the B&H site and noticed the same lens listed as either USA or Imported (Grey market). The items are identical and I read the definition of Grey market. Should Grey market be avoided? Looks like the main difference is warranty. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Comments

• Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    The difference comes in that Nikon USA (according to general rumor) doesn't repair gray market equipment. So it's a warranty thing.

But there are other Nikon repair services available, for example:

http://www.nikoncamerarepair.com/

Authorized Photo Service 8125 N River Drive. Suite 100, Morton Grove, IL 6005

Tel 800-406-2046 / 847-966-4091 /Fax 847-966-4101
    Hours: Mon -Fri 8:30am-5:15pm, Sat 9:00am-1:00pm
  • StephenStephen Member
    edited August 2011
    Authorized Photo Service (APS) is very good. There is somebody on the phone for customer service, and their repairs are generally speedy. They have a 6-month workmanship warranty on their repairs. I just recently sent some equipment to them a second time, and it was covered under their workmanship warranty. May you never have a problem with your equipment, but if you do, APS is worth investigating.
  • If I'm not mistaken, B&H repairs grey mkt lenses as well, although I've never dealt with them.
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    B&H covers warranty on grey products, you send it back to them.

"About USA and GREY MARKET (DIRECT IMPORT) Products

Items marked "USA" are imported and/or distributed by the manufacturer or the manufacturer's official licensed importer/distributor and are warranted by them. Items marked "IMP" are imported and/or distributed by other entities and are warranted by B&H Photo-Video. "IMP" products do not qualify for manufacturer's rebate programs. There is no difference in the item itself."

More info here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/HelpCenter/USGrey.jsp

Trev
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    I should have mentioned that B&H do cover the warranty.
    It is the out of warranty repairs that would most likely need a different repair service than Nikon USA. (Hence the links)