Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Color temp of the nikon tungsten attachment for sb-700?

heidiaheidia Member
edited November 2011 in general photography
You know how the Nikon sb-700 comes with that handy little orange tungsten attachment? :) Anyone know the color temp of this thingie? I am assuming it is comparable to the full gels, so 2800-2900, right? I ask because I am going to order some of the 1/2 CTS gel, and if this attachment is close to the Full CTO, I will just forego ordering that(unless there is some other reason to order that as well?). Thanks!

Comments

• Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    They do seem close to full CTO gels.

It might still be useful to get a sheet of full CTS, since these gels become crinkled and often get lost.
  • i own the sb700, the orange gell is a full cut cto which is way too strong for me under tungsten light, so i just purchased the clear gel from B&h and i will cut half cut rosco gels to fit inside
  • yea sorry i was a little unclear, the sb 700 comes with two hard gels that fit on then head of the flash there is a full cut of green for fluorescent (which is useless b/c u need to stack a half cut green with a half cut orange to balance florescent) and a full cut of orange ( also useless unless ur going for special effect) so i bought a clear gel cap in B&h made by Nikon for the sb700 for inserting ur own soft gels inside, i then cut a half cut of CTO to fit inside and now i can balance tungsten more naturally
  • Thank you Neil. :) I have some 1/2 now, and the rosco sample pack to try out the other versions too. :)

Naftoli, that is a great idea in re to the gel holder, sounds easier than tape. :)
  • yea the nikon gel holder costs like 15 bucks in b&h, just recently i saw a different way to gel flash to match tungsten with a half cut of cts (color temperature straw) i think ill by a sheet of it tom in B&H, mabe ill start a thread about it