Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

general question regarding flash fotography on Nikon

OvidiuOvidiu Member
edited November 2011 in Nikon
this might sound like a very dumb question but I need to ask it.

Lets asume I am using a Nikon D90 and a Sigma 18-50 2.8 lens.

Trying to take a few test shots indoors, I have a Nissin Di866 flash on-camera set to TTL and the camera is in aperture mode set to 2.8 while the camera is set to auto-iso and the settings are: 200-800 ISO minimum shutter speed 1/80

I take a picture and the result is something like: ISO 200 f2.8 1/2s shutter speed.

Isn't the camera supposed to respect the auto-iso settings meaning that it will not go below 1/80s and then either ramp up the flash or bump the ISO up? The result is unusable.
I have to set the camera to manual mode to get usable results.

Just wanting to make sure I am not doing something wrong?

Btw. lets asume one is doing some indoor event shooting I guess I will have the camera in aperture mode set to 2.8 for low lighting conditions and my ISO set to 200-800 min. shutterspeed 1/80 and a 18-50mm lens. If I now need to add bounce flash to the available light, I would have to get out of auto-iso mode and bump up my ISO manually, change to manual mode set the flash to TTL, right?

Can someone using Nikon describe his/her default setting for the situation I just described please?
Tagged:

Comments

• Hi Ovidiu
    I don't let the camera do Auto any thing, ( except for Focus and Flash TTL ) you'll always be fighting the manufacture program which is based on algorithm set by the programer,
    The camera will always try to put you in average.
  • if ur using ttl theres no reason to use aperture priority, on nikon cameras if u use aperature priority with flash (where flash is ur main light source(ie: indoors)) the camera is set by default to choose 1/60 of a sec, shutter speed u may as well just use Manual, and since ur using ttl it wont matter what fstop or shutterspeed ur at, the flash will illuminate correctly every time
  • thanks Naftoli, I did some reading up meanwhile and found out that 1/60 you are talking about is actually a setting one can change between 30s - 1/60s and applies to A,P and S mode.
    As you said, there is no reason for using aperture mode with flash.