Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

gear opinions needed please

scottyboyscottyboy Member
edited December 2011 in general photography
Hi everyone, Im new to this forum but have been shooting digitally for the last four years and last year i started to try and make some money from what was a hobby. I have 2nd shot 12 or so weddings and done lots of family/kid portraits.
I currently shoot with a Nikon d300s, Nikon d200, Tamron 28-75 f2.8, Nikon 50mm f1.8d, Nikon 70-210 f4-5.6d, Nikon sb600 and 2 oem flashguns.
My question is that i understand i dont have the best glass or the best bodies and neither do have any spare cash to go and buy any ! I am only really unhappy with the high iso noise of my cameras and was thinking

Sell the d300s and buy a d7000 = much better high iso and more resolution
Sell all my gear and buy a used Canon 5d, used 30d, used Canon 50mm f1.4, Used 70-200 f4L and a pair of flashguns

Im not loyal to either brand as i have shot Canon before, I am just looking for the best improvement in image quality.

I fully understand that its alot about the photographer not the gear and i still have lots to learn but i have a good solid understanding of exposure, composition, Lighting etc.
Thanks alot
Scott

Comments

• A changeover can be costly. If you read Neil's stuff he recommends a high ISO capable camera if you are serious. I'm not sure about the 5Dc but Neil has made reference to the 5D2. I guess the Nikon D700 would be the equivalent. I will shoot with the 5D2 at ISO 3200 all day and push to 6400 if I need to. My 7D 1600 and push to 3200 if need be. Maybe someone else can be more helpful with the 5Dc.

The Canon 50 1.4 is not the sharpest lens Canon makes. You need to stop down to at least f2. I have it and it is not my favourite lens but good in a pinch in low light situations. The 35 1.4 is a very popular lens but is 3 times the price. Very nice lens. The Canon 24-70L 2.8 is considered the wedding workhorse if you want a zoom. Actually combining that with a 70-200 would provide all the coverage you would need. Perhaps add an inexpensive wide angle/fish eye. I have the 70-200 F4 IS and it is a peach of a lens, only drawback is it is slow. The new 70-200 F2.8 IS Mark II is superb but the cost really skyrockets. Another inexpensive and popular Canon lens is the 85 1.8. I sold that to purchase the new Canon 100L 2.8 IS Macro. Great lens but there are times I miss my 85 1.8 for the speed and Bokeh. However my 100L is just as sharp as the 85 stopped down to 2.8. I made a vow to never sell a good lens again.

You're already invested in Nikon so it is hard to tell which direction is best. Unfortunately any quality glass is not going to be inexpensive. Not sure if just keeping your current gear and somehow getting your hands on a used D700 may be the way to go. As you earn more start to upgrade the glass. That would solve your noise problems. I hate to say it but Nikon flash is more reliable so you are ahead there. I have been thinking of selling mine and getting a pair of Metz flashes. They are not bad but I have to FEC more than I like to.
  • as a d7000 owner i can tell u that going from the d300s to the d7000 would be a downgrade in build quality and large downgrade in button placement
  • StephenStephen Member
    edited December 2011
    What ISO levels are you trying to shoot at?

If you have a noise-reduction program, that can go a long way in reducing some noise.

A photo can have a little bit of noise and still be acceptable. Neil once showed me a photo from an album he had done for a client. He knows the photo had a little bit of noise, but because he had captured a great moment, the client didn't even notice. Are you being too strict on the noise issue?

If you were thinking of changing cameras, you should change your lenses instead.
  • Good point. You won be printing posters for wedding couples. The d300s can't be that bad. Any customers complain? Sometimes I think we are more obsessed with noise than wedding clients. You get the skin clean and a bit of shadow/background can go unnoticed.

The d200 is CCD correct? Maybe sell that for a D700 if you really want that but I'm not sure what you would get for it. The thing about the Canon 5Dc you are getting into a 7 year old camera. No self dust cleaning, etc. It was the cream of the crop in it's day with it's silky sensor but I'm not sure I would go in that direction.
  • Trading in and upgrading costs a lot money.

If noise is the only problem . I would try noise Ninja First before you get new camera.

Once you've shot some more paying work you'll have a better understanding of exactly which camera you need and you will be able to afford it.

Then keep the D300s and D200 as back-up or for your second shooter.

• Hi everyone, just an update. Ive just started using Lightroom 3 and not really used the noise removal at all but wow how good is it !!! makes a great difference.
    I have also noticed how my Nikon files have much more red colour to them compared to the Canon, Files need editing in a much different way.
    Im going to save and try and make up my mind if i want to shoot primes only or zooms.
    Thanks for the replys.
  • Try a different profile in LR under camera calibration
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    edited December 2011
    As Matrixphoto says, try Camera Standard instead of Adobe Standard.

On the right side, scroll bar down to bottom, find Camera Calibration [expand if not already] in "Process" dropdown menu make sure you choose "2010(Current)" then in the "Profile" menu, find Camera Standard. That reduces reds a bit.

Here is an interesting article: Camera Raw Profiles and Effects

And if you have oodles of time on your hands: Read This

Trev.

Edit: Just realised my image shows extra profiles you may be interested in Adding Camera Profile Here

I love a couple of them, especially if I have lots of sky/water in background I choose 'Powered Blue' that brings up blues beautifully, you may have to adjust WB slightly for skintones if people in shot, but worth it.

• I mostly use Canon DPP but when I do use ACR I will use the Camera's settings as well. I must say Adobe has come a long way with their converter. Colour wise It was awful several years ago.