Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Lens or workshop?

k8etk8et Member, Moderator
edited December 2011 in general photography
I finally upgraded at the end of November to a Canon 7d, though tempted by a 5d or 5d Mkii, I didn't have the funds for more lenses in addition to the camera body.

I have a little money from Christmas and I'm torn between a lens (most likely the Sigma 30mm 1.4 since I'm still on a crop sensor) or a boudoir workshop - http://onlineboudoir.christameola.com/ The workshop is more money, but I haven't heard any impartial reviews on how good it is yet. Has anyone here heard of her or taken her classes?

(And yes, I saw Neil's one day workshop which touches on boudoir, but weekdays are tough for me as I work full time. This class seems much more in-depth, and I'm not interested in weddings anytime soon.)

I'm actually doing a boudoir marathon with friends on January 7 to build my portfolio, so the lens would be more helpful than the workshop - I believe posing is what I need to learn the most, and it's not covered until after that day.

Any thoughts? Should I avoid the 30 mm for boudoir because of distortion?

If you had about $400 to spend and were specifically interested in boudoir photography, what would you do?

my other lenses: Sigma 18-50m f2.8, Canon 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS, Canon 50mm f1.8, Canon 24-135 IS, 430 EXII, 580 EXII

Thanks!

Comments

• Well you can always get a lot of free info on the net. Download images and keep them as as reference. Have you tried you tube yet? If you buy a lens you have it for a long time. Personally if I needed it I would buy gear first. If I did not really need it then I might consider a course. Your 50 1.8 is not a bad lens and may be enough to get your portfolio going. You can put a skilled person behind $500 worth of equipment and the opposite behind $5,000 worth of equipment and it would not compete with the skilled persons work. I have never heard of that course.

About the lens. I don't see much distortion but the MTF chart shows it is a little soft in the corners. This lens shows a bit of CA and vignetting. People seem to be happy with it but besides reviews I don't know much about it.

http://www.photozone.de/canon-eos/298-sigma-af-30mm-f14-ex-hsm-dc-test-report--review?start=1

Sorry I could not help more. Good luck on your decision.
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    k8et said: or a boudoir workshop - http://onlineboudoir.christameola.com/ The workshop is more money, but I haven't heard any impartial reviews on how good it is yet. Has anyone here heard of her or taken her classes?
    er ... don't.
    Call me and I'll tell you more.

• k8etk8et Member, Moderator
    Zenon - thanks. I love my 50 mm 1.8, just hoped to get a little more room with the 30. I also heard from someone who has the 30mm that they use the lens correction feature in Lightroom. I do most of my learning online from free sources, but would love an in-depth workshop on boudoir specifically. I also have Ed Verosky's books which are decent.

Neil - Gotcha. That's why I was looking around for an independent review. I don't need any more details, but I still have that other issue I may need your help on - I'll probably email you over the weekend about it (when I can take a photo of the setup). Thanks!
  • All the tools in the world won't mean a thing if you don't have the knowledge to use them. Education scales as your equipment gets better.

Going to a small workshop in person is probably the best way to learn, barring the expense. Maybe you can work something out with Neil?
  • I had a look at the Sigma about 6 months ago. I have both a crop and FF so I decided not to purchase anymore crop lenses. I am patiently waiting for the rumoured 24-70 IS.
    Stephen - this was an online workshop, which I know can vary greatly in quality/worth. I'm NOT taking this one now. I would love to work out a private lesson with Neil, though with my schedule it can't happen before my January photo shoot. (but then most of the online workshop was also after that...)

Zenon - good point. There were many people raving over the sigma versus the Canon 35mm f2, but I do hope to go full frame one day...
  • Well if I had unlimited funds I would have the 35 1.4. That is one nice lens. For the amount I earn with my hobby I decided I cannot justify several expensive primes. 24-70 and 70-200 (which I own) will cover just about anything. If I need really WA I'll throw my Tokina 11- 16 on my crop. It will also work on my FF @ 16mm. That is a sweat lens.

If that 24-70 IS ever comes out I will retire my 24-105 to a walk around lens. Too slow and IQ while good could be a tad better. I also own a Canon 50 1.4 if I need speed and/or shallow DOF. I just keep hoping Canon releases it one day.
  • k8et, with your limited budget, perhaps you can rent the lens and try it out first or use it for specific jobs?
    Yeah, I have no income from photography yet, so I haven't spent more than $400 on a lens!

Stephen, great idea, the only one available at the place by me would be the 35 1.4. I'm on the fence - if I love it, it will be years before I can afford it. However, it may be worth it just to see how much I like or dislike it for this situation...

I was in two shops yesterday and neither had the canon or sigma in stock, so desire to impulse buy has probably passed. I may rent the 35 1.4. I may spend the money on a monitor color calibration kit instead. I splurged on a background (pop up frame kind with black and white damask pattern) for a "fun" purchase, so at least there's something new to play with during the session!
  • k8et, I have no income from photography either. Scrimp and save! :-)

I see an ad for borrowlenses.com in this forum, so that might be a good place to check lens rental prices.
    Actually, I just found out last weekend that Unique Photo near me rents them out. The 35 1.4 would be about $36 for friday - monday.

I don't think I'm bothering with it, too many other things going on, but I will probably rent from there in the future since it's close and I don't have to mail things back!
  • I had no idea Unique Photo rented equipment That is good to know. :-)