Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Auto Focus Microadjustment

ZenonZenon Member
edited December 2011 in general photography
Some of you may be interested in this. A person has designed software to do this. I have been following this on POTN forums from day 1. Seems it is available for purchase. For PC only for now. 7D and 5D2 only as well. Mac version is supposed to follow and more cameras will be included one day.

http://www.reikan.co.uk/focal/index.html

Comments

• It is now available. Looks promising.

Here are a few screen shots from POTN forums. One for Canon 50 1.4 and 85 1.8.

It takes about 30 reading and selects the optimal setting.

50.jpg 224.1K
    85.jpg 229.4K
  • I tink that this may be good alternative in this matter, cheap & free - http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/cameras/1ds3_af_micoadjustment.html - is interesting solution
    Tad
  • MatrixphotoMatrixphoto Member
    edited January 2012
    Hi Guys
    Your playing with fire, Camera focus adjustments are software driven.
    When you do micro adjustment you are doing is compounding the error.

To get full sharpness the lens elements have to be properly aligned and then the lens has to be mechanically adjusted to the body by a trained technician.

I had it done to all my lenses I was shocked at the difference.

Lou
  • Maybe you're right, but it works and it is'nt easy to find technician who is able to do mechanical adjustment without risk. When you mount this adjusted lens to another body will you do the same adjustments again? I think it's just for such situations, for exchange lenses among bodies. Of course you're right, when there is one body it's best solution.

Tad
  • ZenonZenon Member
    edited January 2012
    I posted that as it does sound interesting. I don't want to try and figure that out on my own. I want a system to tell me what is out. I may try it when the Mac version is released. Like Matrixphoto said I'm on the team (as much of a pain as it is) sending my gear to Canon to be serviced by a trained technician.

Currently there are 2 dozen or more methods out there to do this. I just can't justify it with $5000 worth of precision equipment. But that is just me and what do I know :)
  • I have been following this myself. This seems to be a good solution. I am just waiting on some peoples results, so if anyone has this please report back with your thoughts. For whats its worth, I am on the other side about sending bodies and lens into service. Not that it may be the ultimate solution, but everywhere I read it sometimes takes multiple times to get that right. Very time consumimg and costly. I am not afraid of anything software driven. Heck monitor calibration is software driven. Why not cameras? They have the micro adjustment there for us to play with. If this software can accurately adjust my lens without the hassle of sending gear in. I'm all for it! Plus I like the intstant satisfaction.

PS. If I am wrong on my thought process, please slap me and splain to me why.
  • Has anyone used this yet? I'm about to give it a try. Would love to hear from anyone that has used this software and get there feedback and any tips. Thanks!

Jay