Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Indoor flash technique for Wedding group shots

haanshaans Member
edited March 2012 in wedding photography
I read your articles on flash with great interests especially on the topic in max flash sync against a strong backlit light where some books were talking about using a fill in flash with high speed sync.

However most posts are discussing about outdoor flash technique. And I would like to learn more about indoor flash technique especially in a hotel ballroom or a wedding banquet. How do you balance with the low ambient light? Let say our objectives is to get a group of guests of 4-6 people in focus with some background lights?

Which mode do you generally recommend to shoot in this scenario? I would say M mode as we need to tweak the Aperture,ISO. Set flash ETTL on for ease and speed. Then shutter I am not sure, I would say no less than 1/30 or 1/60.

I attempted in TV mode, ISO auto, which effectively force my aperture to largest ie. F 2.8. which gives me shallow depth of field and ruin some guests photos.

Any advice please? Have a good day.
Tagged:

Comments

• never use TV mode unless u want to blur motion! what? i said never use TV mode unless u want to blur motion! but in tv mode i can select the shutterspeed i want, No u cant b/c if the light is not suffiecent it wont work.

TV mode or S is for the very specific situation where u need a specific shutterspeed to BLUR motion to a certain amount, for instance if ur taking NASCAR racing photos and u may need to shoot at 1/640 of a sec so that the car is sharp but the wheels have the exact amount of blur u want so it looks like its in motion, or if ur taking photos of rain, if u want the rain to look real u would use Shutter priority/Time value set to 1/60 to blur the rain drops a specific amount so it looks like rain.

to answer ur question as a starting point i would use manual 1/60 of a sec, or faster (depending how steady u can hold ur camera) iso aprox 3200, f4, and ttl with a -2 stops fec