Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

unsharp image with D700

vaenkavaenka Member
edited March 2012 in general photography
I recently bought an used d700 and have been shooting it with my nikon 24-70. like the attached image i find a number of my images not as sharp as my d7k. its a difference of 12MP and 16 but expected a better image quality in D700.
Any comments on the attached image.

settings
ISO - 250, 1/200 @ f5.6,

Comments

• StephenStephen Member
    edited March 2012
    Your image looks acceptable to my eyes. Where in your image do you think it is not sharp enough?

You probably don't have your D7000 anymore, but for a fair comparison, you would have had to take this image with the D7000 as well, run them through the same post processing, and then look at the two images.
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    In terms of sharpness it's acceptable as Stephen says, but it's not exposed correctly for subject, at least 1.2 stops under. I ran my action over it, because images can become muddy and don't look sharp when under-exposed due to noise and moire, but it processes fine.

Trev.
  • vaenkavaenka Member
    Gd day , I took the attached image at 1/400 @ F5 however i find the girl to be out of focus. Appreciate any thoughts. Finding a number of my images to be softer than normal.
  • There is a good chance that your softness here is due to your lens. All lenses are "softer" near the edge/outside and while stopping down does help, you need to learn where your 24-70 is sharpest or use a different lens. No longer placing a subject near the edge also works if the 24 -70 is what you have to work with.
  • vaenkavaenka Member
    Thanks Trev. I shot this with the 70-200 at 95mm. I've never had such issues with my 24-70/2.8. usually i use AF-C and release priority even for static subjects. will experiment more with AF-S.
  • That will not eliminate the flaws of the lens-know your and your equipment's limitations and find a work-around. Good luck...

Rudy
  • As a matter of interest, are you using a UV or any form of filter on your 24-70? I was using one up to a while back and found a lot of images, say about 25% coming out a touch soft. Nothing a bit of post processing wouldn't sort out but annoying nonetheless. I removed the UV filter one day and problem automatically solved. Sharp 95% of the time so I put the 5% down to bad technique.
  • For what it's worth I've been shooting with D700 for several years and both are tack sharp. And sharpness is probably my biggest 'take no prisoners' demand of a camera. If pix aren't sharp then it's gotta be the lens, or something you're doing or something's wrong with camera. Check the focus fine tune feature or whatever it's called in the menu. You can plus or minus sharpness, make sure it's not set funny.
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    edited July 2013
    Looking at that second image of the couple in front of the trailer thing, there is definitely a problem.

Either your lens needs to be re-calibrated, or your camera's lens mount is out of alignment.

Check if you have the same problem with other lenses - then the problem is your camera.
    If it is only this lens showing the problem, send the lens in for repairs.

ie, you can stop second-guessing yourself here. Something is faulty - either the lens, or the camera. Send it in for repair. You'll be happier when it comes back.
  • vaenkavaenka Member
    I took more images with the 24-70 and have no issues with sharpness. Have sent the 70-200 to NSC and glad its still under warranty. They will replace a new barrel for it . Thanks for the feedback Neil :)
    Good to hear that you're sorting this out. It's one of the most disconcerting things as a photographer when your equipment is faulty, but you can't quite pinpoint it.
  • vaenkavaenka Member
    Just collected my lens from NSC where they replaced the lens barrel. The focussing ring is much smoother and it doesn't jump as much when it locks focus on AF. Hope to take it out this weekend .
    I'd love to hear about the results.
    Sounds like there definitely was a mechanical problem with your lens then. Most likely impact damage?
  • Neil, I shot a graduation ceremony with the lens and results looks good. However I'm not convinced about the sharpness. Will post images for your reference.