Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

which camera?

clarahclarah Member
edited April 2012 in news & discussions
I have the Nikon d5000, 50mm f 1.4 G, 35mm f1.8, Tamron 28-75mm f 2.8, Tamron 90mm Macro f.2.8, and my kit lenses. I am shooting my first wedding in August and feel I should maybe upgrade my camera- I am thinking the d300 because I found a used one for about 900. Dream camera is the d700- and my lenses would be useable with a FF cam. Thoughts on the d300? With my budget, is the d300 a good option?
Tagged:

Comments

• d300 is a bit old, u may even be downgrading in image quality as far as iso from the d5000
  • do u have strobes, the d5000 does ok till iso 800 and even to 1600 if needed, how cheap can the d300 possibly be? if u want a cheap high quality camera id try the d3200
  • I'm deciding between a d90-$900, d7000-$1100, and d300- $900.... I'm leaning toward waiting to get the d700 and just renting another camera for the wedding... I'm not sure.. thoughts?
  • dgvdgv Member
    I would highly recommend renting a really nice Nikon cam for the wedding..something that can go high in ISO (D3, D3s.. i'm a canon shooter so dont really know the model #'s). You definitely want something that is high quality and will perform under low light. If you find yourself shooting a number of weddings then it would make sense to invest in a new camera.
  • i say d300 is out, now a only a $200 difference btwn the d90 and d7000 i think its definitely worth the extra $$ for the d7000.
    now if u want to go with the d700 u may have to buy a whole new set of full frame lenses, depending on if ur current glass is compatible
  • If you are doing something as critical as a wedding, but don't have money for a camera with good low-light, I would rent some of the equipment. You really don't want your equipment to fail on you during the job.

The D300 was a fine camera, but its ISO maxes out at about ISO800. I have pushed it to ISO1600, but I don't know if I want to use ISO1600 at a wedding.
  • Take the plunge and go with the D700....I think the high ISO performance will be worth the cost for a wedding and they have gotten cheaper since the D800 came out. If you plan on shooting another wedding it won't be cost effective to rent every time. I am actually shooting my first wedding in June and have 2 others booked. I plan on buying a 2nd D700 for them so I don't have to switch lenses much. If I decided to not shoot any other weddings I will sell the 2nd body with less depreciation than it would cost to rent one for the weddings.
  • dezantdezant Member
    i think u should go to D7000, D7000 is great camera but D700 far better interms of low light and some other performances, i just bought one for myself cuz i cant help it LOL!!
    and then u can rent nice lens for ur D700. im sure u wont regret it

good luck
  • clarahclarah Member
    Thanks! I decided on the d7k because I prob won't do anymore weddings after this one. :)