Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

iso settings

rayflowerrayflower Member
edited June 2012 in general photography
I am new here (and a bit green) but as I am reading over some of the settings being used I notice many shots taken are at a higher iso. Does this not cause problems with too much grain. I have a tendency to go lower to get a cleaner shot.

Comments

• depending on how current and expensive ur camera is u will have less of a problem with noise at high ISOs, u can take even the lowest grade dslr and use it outdoors under a cloudy sky and get virtually identical photos to the high end DSLRs, but when u need to take photos under challenging light conditions ie: indoors, low light levels, that is where the more u pay the more difference u will c in IQ
  • Thanks, I guess I did not realize that. I got used to grainy film at higher ISOs, I guess I was a little "gun shy". I need to spread my wings a little. I have a Nikon D300 by the way. Not the best, but pretty good, i think. Thanks for the advice. I am so glad I found this site. It's just what I have been looking for!
  • im pretty sure the d300 is as least 5 years old, it is very well built and a solid camera however 5 years ago we did not have the low noise technology that we have today, so above iso 800-1600 u will start getting some noticeable grain
  • enter... the flash gun!
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    rayflower ... I do use the Nikon D4 (and previously the D3s / D3 and Canon 1D mark 3) .. so I've been comfortable shooting at higher ISO settings.

You have to consider the final use of the image. Not every image will be used at full resolution or rezzed up.

Also, the way I see it, it is easier for me to fix high-ISO noise, than camera shake and subject movement ... or lack of depth-of-field.

The main thing you can do to control high-ISO noise, is to NOT under-expose your subject.
  • I did a little test shooting at home. Definitely got the noise, but I can see how if I have the right settings and enough light, I could get a better overall pic in a large room or where a closeup is not critical. I read somewhere that you should turn off the Active-D lighting, but I found this to be a bad idea. I would love a newer camera, but I waited forever to get that one. I was stuck with the first Digital Rebel before that so I felt like a "pro" with my Nikon. Thanks all, and Neil, I aspire to learn your techniques. :)
  • From what I recall, Active D-Lighting is for the in-camera JPEG. It doesn't do anything to the RAW image.
  • rayflowerrayflower Member
    edited June 2012
    Wasn't shooting RAW at that moment - just shooting pics of the couch to check out some low light settings. I have a JPEG habit I need to fix anyway. Don't know if this is true everywhere, but most of the photographers I have been around never consider shooting in RAW.
  • yes atctive dlighting is a setting that will only effect jpeg, it is meant to be used in high contrast situations where the highlights would normally be blown, it tries to tone it down a bit kind of like the recovery/highlight slider in Lr. i never use active D lighting or the recovery slider for pictures with people in them, also im pretty sure active d lighting doesn't brighten the photo it just effects the highlights and mid tones and brings them down