Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Wedding questions

ALM_327ALM_327 Member
edited August 2012 in wedding photography
I'm just getting my feet wet with shooting weddings...shot 2 so far and have 2 more coming up and have a few questions that have popped up. Just wondering how many images anyone edits and presents to the bride and groom for a typical full day wedding? Are all chosen images opened and at least tweaked for exposure, WB, etc in PS? Also wondering what are some ways they are presented to the B&G for the first time. In person or posted in a gallery on the photographer's website? And as far as selection of images for the album, how many are typically used for that and do the B&G or photographer choose them from all edited images?

One other question regarding the wedding day...does anyone give time for the B&G with or without the wedding party to have some time without having pictures taken. I found a couple times during my first full day wedding when there really wasn't anything going on and felt like I could not be there for a few to give the wedding party some space.

Thanks

Comments

• MatrixphotoMatrixphoto Member
    edited August 2012
    Hi ALM_327
    I never give a solid number I say minimum xxx my experiences 50 shots/Hr after editing reasonable other wise your doing filler shots

I just developed a system that works pretty well -

Ist I create a folder that has year-month-day-Contact-name-Discription

Eg: 2012-07-28-Sue-Smith-Wedding

Even if its a multiday event each day gets its own folder.

I use photo Mechanic to dump all my cards into one Folder and call it

001-Nefs

So then I will have 2012-07-28-Sue-Smith-Wedding/001-Nefs

In bridge I batch rename all files from wedding the ( good the bad and the ugly )
    misfires Etc

I have the same naming convention for all my files see image

my company acronym-Datecreated-4 digit sequence number

I use Photo Mechanic again to Pick all my 1 star ★

Then I use Adobe Bridge colour labels in to categorize the images into different WB
    Daylight
    Tungsten
    Shade if needed
    Extreme ( wrong colour balance and /or Exposure )

After that I give each image or Group of images a category Key word

Groom Getting ready
    Bride Getting Ready
    Ceremony
    Reception
    Groups
    Candids
    Formals
    Details
    Buddy Shots
    Etc.....

Then I will go though each Category and do my 2 star ★ ★ ratings that way its easier to pick up on redundant shots ( you don't need 10 shots of the groom looking in the camera )

After I finish editing then I go category by category

I open all Groom Getting ready 2 star ★ ★ Daylight Balance do a Batch corrections then deal with the ones that need more work

Same with Groom Getting ready 2 star ★ ★ Tungsten Balance

same thing with the Bride getting Ready Etc Etc

I do the same for the rest of the Categories

This way You can determine how much time to spend on each catagory for example
    Bride Getting ready - critical
    Candids - Not so critical they don't have to be perfect.
    Formals & Groups are critical because these are the ones that will probably be enlarged.
    Etc

Lastly I deal with the Extremes these are shots with bad colour balance, flash didn't go off etc that still need to be part of the DVD

Then I will burn -Jpegs to a cd with folders
    Bride Getting Ready
    Ceremony
    Reception
    Groups
    Candids
    Formals
    Details
    Buddy Shots
    Etc.....

Also What I have started doing now is is I will pick about a dozen images and put them into a dropbox and send the couple a link so they can see some there images while I take to do a proper edit job.The next step for me will be to do the Same on FaceBook.

I would just ask the couple , do guys need 5mins.

Lou Recine
    Matrix Photography

• TrevTrev Moderator
    edited August 2012
    ALM-327,

You will eventually develop your own system of what/won't work for you.

There are some important things you should or should not do, and this is my opinion, but some commonsense must prevail in handling your files, for starters before going onto what to do in editing/presenting shots.

1] Before even going to the wedding/event, make sure you sync all camera bodies, with date and time. You should be able to get it to the exact second, both Canon/Nikon, so later on when sorting and before renaming the files, you can sort by 'Date Taken' or some such, and all the files fall into a natural progression of the day's events when you are switching between bodies.

Hint: If you have camera bodies that does not allow you to rename your files in camera and you happen to end up with files from both cameras with same file names, eg: IMG_001.CR2, just still dump them all into same folder, only when it comes up with 'file name exists' just choose to 'Copy-Rename' or whatever, you can then still sort by 'Date Taken'. eg: 'IMG_001.CR2', IMG_001-Copy 1.CR2'

2] *NEVER* delete a bad shot directly from your card during the shoot, regardless if just a test shot or not, leave it on the card. Sort it out later at home with no pressure, why?

a) Under pressure I had a mate who accidentally chose a 'good' shot, bam, it went into the netherlands. Got home went looking for it and realised what he had done.
    b) You never know when that 'bad' shot may be needed, no matter how bad if something went wrong and you only have that 1 shot, you can do something, maybe, with it.
    c) I know a guy puts his 1 and only card into his TV set, and sits back and goes through all the images deleting his unwanted shots, before even dumping them onto his computer. Verrrrry risky.

3] Like Lou, dump all of the images into a folder of your naming. Do not sort/delete just yet, burn a disc of all the images, or do a back-up to External/other device so you have a copy of them all.

4] Once backed up, you can choose your sorting/deleting, other, at your leisure.
    I know Lou and Neil use Photo Mechanic, I just use Bridge. I only go through them quickly, and only delete the bleeding obviously bad/out of focus, strictly test shots. I may delete some duplicate type shots but all in all takes around 30 mins on average for me.

Editing: Very subjective what to do/don't do. Depends on what the 'package' chosen called for, just presented in proof form or not, just small proof prints or contact sheet, or was it just all images fully edited on disc, etc.

I personally do full edits on all the keepers, since I can edit reasonably quickly, and all clients get a disc anyway. [If you go that route, make sure you have a built-in price to cover generally enlargements they might get done themselves. This may seem counter-productive but it saves hassle and extra costs anyway].

If they ask about enlargements, I explain the editing process a little bit and also how prints should be edited re-sharpness, density for various sizes, especially if you have to upsize, so they appreciate the process. 90% are satisfied and happy to let you do it. Bonus.

Obviously albums/canvas prints are your domain, so you catch up on that also.

How many shots: Depends on the coverage, I have had a few requiring ceremony and location shots only, so have a 5-hour package right up to covering up to 12 hours. On average I think many shoot in the 1000-2000 range and cull to 500-800+. That's something entirely up to you.

My theory: Shoot the shots on the day, worrying about culling/editing later, at least you have the shots in the bag, duplicates, similar, good, bad, indifferent, sort out later. No use going into a game plan mode of only shooting 800 shots. Normally I do on average around the 1500 which includes some shots from my assistant. [Generally only the ceremony as he helps carry gear, lights, etc.]

Albums: Depends on how many pages and the size as to how many images are used. As a general guideline allow 2.5 images per page, this does not mean you stick to that, as you may have 8-10 images of getting ready on 1 page, and later in the album you would have some with just a 'wow' shot by itself on a page or even across a double spread for impact.

Yep, B&G should choose the images, tell them say 60 images for a 20-pager of 'must haves', then get them to select up to 30 images of 'spares' for filling holes you may encounter. But, get the 'spares' from different segments of the day, as in getting ready, ceremony, location, reception, etc.

Album Proofing: If close they can come to your place and you can quickly correct on the fly any of the shots/pages needed altering. If not, make a slide show of completed spreads, email them the file or give link to uploaded location, get them to email back changes. I allow 5 changes free, anything after that gets charged, especially if they decide to delete several images, don't replace from the same location but want more images inserted further down the track, that means lots of pages being revamped.

Downtime: If you have any downtime during the day, you are very lucky, I on rare occasions may have a full 4 hours of just location shooting before reception, the ceremony being around the 2.00 pm or before mark with sunset around the 6.30 pm, so that's a nice bonus, have a relax with bridal party, as they take a refresher on make-up, drinks, etc.

In the main though you are usually pushed a bit trying to get as much in and catching up from late arrivals, or everyone insisting on a smoke/drink each and every 10-15 mins, takes up time.

Trev.

• Thanks for those extensive and very informative answers Lou and Trev. I've been a learn on the fly kinda guy since I started my business a few years ago and I obviously have much to learn about shooting weddings...my problem is I have a separate full time job and I"m also a single parent so finding time to learn can be challenging. As of right now I do everything in PS...I have wanted to get and learn Bridge and/or Lightroom but have not as of yet. I did start sorting my images into separate folders by category which has helped with organization. And Trev, I did NOT think to sync the times on my bodies and the images came up in PS in scattered order because of that so I will definitely take that advice for next time.

I'm not familiar with adjusting sharpness and density for larger size prints so if you know a source that explains that you could share that would be great.

Thanks again for all this extremely useful information., I'll be sifting through it a few times before my next wedding.

Tony
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    edited August 2012
    Are you shooting in RAW, I thought that would be given to do that, and using Adobe Camera Raw.
    ALM_327 said: I have wanted to get and learn Bridge and/or Lightroom but have not as of yet.
    Bridge is part of Photoshop if you didn't know that. Look in your program files.

Re sharpening. There are many many varied themes/advice/options for sharpening, try to find some tutorials where they use masks to protect skin tones.

Trev.
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    edited August 2012
    ALM,

Leave me a message [go to the 'Inbox' above, then click on right had side 'Start a New conversation', a box pops up and in the 'Recipients' put 'Trev' [no quotes] and in message pane put your email address, and click on 'Start conversation' and I will send a sharpening action for you to play with. I have built in percentages of sharpening and just by clicking a 30 60 or 90% it changes instantly. By default I have it set to 90%.

Trev.
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    ALM,

Email sent.

Trev.