Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Ghosting

clarahclarah Member
edited August 2012 in general photography
I recently did a photoshoot with my d700 and nikon 85mm f 1.8G- the subject was backlit in harsh sun and some of my photos came with a ghosting affect on the bottom of the picture. Any advice or tips on this?

Comments

• TrevTrev Moderator
    edited August 2012
    That is unusual, looks like flare from sun striking the bottom 1/3rd of the lens, but not completely sure, as flare usually represents itself in a different matter as in rings of light or just small spots, this looks completely even across the bottom 1/3rd of the image.

did you have the lens hood on?
    are all the images in this sequence the same?
    what about the rest of the shoot, was there any other locations shot at and any sign of this happening on any images?
    have you tried to duplicate this again, shooting against strong backlight?

also the image appears really soft, not crisp, but this can sometimes because of strong backlight.

try to re-create this but have someone hold something over the top of your lens to protect sunlight making sure the card or whatever does not show in the frame, see if that has any effect.
  • this only happened in this location with strong back light... other photos with this lens were fine no lens hood

• Were you using a filter on your lens?

It looks like the backlight was creating a lens flare effect, which contributes to the ghosting.

See this entry from Neil's blog:
    http://neilvn.com/tangents/2010/02/27/using-filters/

Basically, using a lens hood and taking off the lens filter will greatly reduce the chance of this happening.
  • super helpful thanks!!
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    Yes, a filter problem, good spot Stephen.

Clarah, most definitely use a lens hood at all times, outdoors, indoors, not so much for light, but for protection.

Cannot count the number of times my lens has hit a doorway frame when I have it slung over a shoulder and trying to get thru, or hitting the edges of tables.
    Much better to smack up a lens hood @ $50 than damage the edge of your front element of lens/filter @ $1200+
  • StephenStephen Member
    edited August 2012
    The lens hood in this case would block off light rays coming in towards the camera at odd angles which contribute to ghosting. The lens hood is acting like a flag for incoming light.

Otherwise, as Trev said, lens hoods are great to protection against accidental collisions with other objects. It is nearly a must-have if you take the lens filter off.