Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Event Photography

JCWJCW Member
edited December 2012 in wedding photography
Hi Neil,

I frequently read your website and have gained some knowledge, but I was hoping for a personalized answer. I have a canon 5d mkII and a canon 50 1.4, 24-105 f/4 and 70-200 f/4. I also have a 430exII flash but am considering selling that for the 580exII. I do mostly portraits outdoors in natural light but occasionally do a wedding or event. I will probably shoot on manual in the camera with ettl flash.

Would the 24-105 with a 580 exII be sufficient for a wedding or indoor event? Im also not sure whether to use a fong lightsphere or just bounce. Im not the type of person that likes a lot of gadgets, just the most simple way to get great shots.

Thanks,

James Wilson

www.jamescwilson.com

Comments

• It might be sufficient for certain indoor events but not a wedding. I think you'll want all three of your lenses for a wedding. Why limit yourself? I also think if you are going to photograph a wedding you will need at least two bodies and two flashes, if nothing else for back-ups in case one fails. You do not have to choose between a diffuser and bouncing ahead of time. Bring the diffuser but I'd bounce first if you can. It's fine to travel light but not so light that you do not have enough gear with you.
  • Thanks for the response. I guess the next question is, are these lenses suitable being that they are not "fast" in terms of being 2.0/2.8 aperature. I would think though that with the 580 EXII flash, I would be fine. Again, I have only done two weddings in three years so I don't really need backup equipment, although I have accounts with Lens Rentals and Borrow Lenses if I do in fact need extra gear. Most of my work is outdoors in good naural light.
  • JCW-- the need for back-ups has nothing to do with the frequency with which you shoot weddings. What if, during a wedding, your camera fails for whatever reason? What will you do? If you book a wedding I urge you to rent back-ups. I will never ever go on any shoot, much less the most important day of someone's life, without back-ups.
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    Skipperlange said: JCW-- the need for back-ups has nothing to do with the frequency with which you shoot weddings. What if, during a wedding, your camera fails for whatever reason? What will you do? If you book a wedding I urge you to rent back-ups. I will never ever go on any shoot, much less the most important day of someone's life, without back-ups.
    Absolutely, no second chances, beg borrow steal rent backups

• I equate backups with seatbelts. Some people say, "I'm a good driver, I've driven for a long time, I don't need a seatbelt."

But it isn't yourself you have to worry about. At least with driving, you are dealing with quasi adults. But in a wedding there are likely to be the dreaded lap-urchins, also known as children, with all of their fluid projections and such.
  • JCW, re:"are these lenses suitable being that they are not "fast" in terms of being 2.0/2.8 aperature." depends on ur shooting style, do u use the black fomie thing lke Neil if so these lenses wont cut it in many situations, there r wedding photographers out there that use 28-300mm zoom lens as there all around wedding lens, when using flash they have to just put it at a 45 deg. angle right at the subject,
  • I don't use any black foamie thing but have been to dozens of weddings and generally see the pros just bouncing with no diffusers. I had the Canon 24-70 2.8 but shot past weddings at f/8 - f/11 with flash so I think my Canon 24-105 f/4 IS will be fine. I will definately rent extra gear if needed though. I do have a Fong diffuser as I mentioned earlier so I will prob use that as needed. Last question though is whether to use manual or ttl for the flash settings. I most likely will use the camera in manual mode.
  • JCW, "have been to dozens of weddings and generally see the pros just bouncing with no diffusers." there r hundreds if not thousands of "professional photographers" who are "ambient light photographers" and dont use flash because its not "there style" and "flash makes pictures look unnatural." (just set the dial to P mode) all im saying is just b/c u see someone that is charging money for a service does not mean that he will get results on par with someone that has better gear and more advanced knowledge and technique. my two cents.

Finally I assume ur client has seen ur previous work and liked it enough to hire u, so if u use direct on camera flash they will be happy with the results. RE: lenses, u could do just fine with an 18-55 if ur at f8-11
  • Back up EVERYTHING, whatever can go wrong WILL go wrong. I use 2 bodies, both with different lenses on, 2 flashes, back up lenses, back up memory cards, back up batteries for everything.
  • Oh and fast lenses are a must, 2.8 or wider. Churches are almost always dimly lit and most dont allow the use of flash popping off every few seconds.