Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Suggestion for a quick (to assemble) indoor/outdoor background choice

Sridhar125Sridhar125 Member
edited January 2013 in portraits & people
Hi,
So I purchased black and white paper (11ft wide) and converted an open den to my indoor studio..Since my kids are growing, my wife close that studio and made it a kids play area...So as I shoot my kids indoor mainly and sometimes in my backyard, I get some great pictures but the background is always not so great (its usually a wall with the usual "wall" pattern on it). I have a 85/1.4 and 70-200/2.8 and even at shallow apertures of 2 and above, you can usually see the wall pattern...Wondering if users have any suggestions for some quick setup backgroup that can be used indoor and maybe even in the yard ?

thanks
Sridhar

Comments

• At an aperture of 2.8 surely you shouldnt be able to see the pattern, bring the subject as far away from the wall as possible, failing that set up a flash to blow out the background by having it full power to make it a white background.
  • Have a helper give the background a little shake while remaining out of frame. The motion will cause the background to blur out of focus nicely.
  • TrevTrev Moderator
    sovaphotos said: Have a helper give the background a little shake while remaining out of frame. The motion will cause the background to blur out of focus nicely.
    Unique idea!

• sovaphotos said: Have a helper give the background a little shake while remaining out of frame. The motion will cause the background to blur out of focus nicely.

IMO if im shooting at about 200mm and my shutterspeed is slow enough that shaking the background will blur it theres a good chance that my subject will be blurred as well due to camera shake
  • Hi all,
    Thanks for the suggestions. Given the size of my rooms and fact that I try to use my 85/1.4 as much as possible means I am kind of limited as to how far in front of wall I can place them.

-Sridhar
  • Naftoli said:IMO if im shooting at about 200mm and my shutterspeed is slow enough that shaking the background will blur it theres a good chance that my subject will be blurred as well due to camera shake.

What is the point of taking a photo with camera settings that will blur your subjects?
  • Sovaphotos i was referring to ur first comment where u suggested shaking the backdrop to create motion blur behind the subject, i was saying that at a shutter speed slow enough to show motion blur due to shaking the background there is also a good chance i will have some motion blur or softness on my subject due to camera shake
  • Naftoi, I understand what you mean. I think that you would have to see what shutter speed would be proper to get sharp photos but still slow enough to blur the backdrop. I don't take photos professionally, a relative of mine does. One one setup he has a small fan directed towards the backdrop to create motion. That combined with a narrow depth of field created some cool results. I will try to find out the settings and other particulars. In the end, it was only just a suggestion,
  • I am curious as to just 'how' you shake a brick wall? Earthquake?
  • He was talking about a wall outside and an indoor backdrop. Also what kind of set ups you could use indoors and out. I wasn't thinking about a brick wall in this application, right?
  • Attached is a small pic of my son. The background pattern is what I am talking about. Clearly in this case, he is very close to wall, but even at 2 feet or so, the background does register.