Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L Lens for wedding photography?

RHMPRHMP Member
edited February 2013 in wedding photography
Lately I’ve been considering adding a Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM Lens to our collection of wedding lenses. Our workhorse lenses are the 24-70, 17-40 and the 70-200 f/2.8.

I like the focal length of the 28-300 and there is some decent feedback online with the quality of images it produces. I’m a little concerned about the fact that it only stops down to 3.5 and at 70mm and farther only stops down to 5.6…. I can see this as an issue for darker indoor venues.

Anyone out there have some firsthand experience using this lens for wedding photography?

Comments

• do u use direct flash? if ur style of shooting is like Neils ie: BFT, the 28-300 probably wont cut it in most situations
  • Yup, we bounce flash only...

I can foresee it would be an issue with a dim indoor venue. I’d leave it at home for those events… But, what about a venue that has good lighting or even an outdoor venue? How about a good all-purpose lens for the reception…?

Anyone out there have some firsthand experience using this lens for wedding photography?

How about you Naftoli, have you ever had a chance to give this lens a shot at a wedding?
  • bobh665bobh665 Member
    edited February 2013
    It depends on your shooting style. David Ziser did a test drive of the Tamron version with a Canon 5D MKIII and loved it. He uses a lot of off camera flash. Heres his review with lots of samples:

http://digitalprotalk.blogspot.com/2012/04/test-driving-new-tamron-28-300mm-vc.html
  • i admit in my early days when i used direct flash i used an 18-200, that bieng said a well lit venue will not neccesarilly solve ur problems, using a wider aperture lens will give ur flash more effective reach.

BOB re: david ziser i recently saw he bought a canon point and shoot and uses that as well by weddings
  • Good link Bob! I did some calling around to the local camera shops and I found a new Tamron for $450ish.... So, thats not at all a bad price if I wanted to test it out. I might hold out though and just buy the Canon. I'll probably use it for our outdoor highschool senior sessions....