Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Nikon 85mm 1.4

edited February 2013 in portraits & people
Ok...well..I got a D300 with a 17-55mm 2.8 and a D700 with a 70-200mm 2.8 and soon a D4 with a 24-70mm 2.8
Looking on websites and the idea I am gonna shoot I read about a 85mm 1.4 Why must I have that lens or why not?
I am shooting music shows in bars, band photos, weddings, family photos, company photos, sports..
Am I good with the stuff I got or shoud I buy the 85mm 1.4 also?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Best regards from West Texas,
Frank Sanders
Tagged:

Comments

• Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    Frank ... If you buy the 85mm f/1.4 then buy it for the shallow depth-of-field look.

Personally, I think the 70-200 with VR is a more versatile lens than the 85mm f/1.4

The VR allows you to shoot hand-held in fairly low light ... so that balances out the advantage the f/1.4 optic would give you in terms of a higher shutter speed.

That higher shutter speed (because of the wider aperture) does come in handy when your subject is moving. The VR doesn't help there. It only helps for camera shake.

So right now, with your setup, I wouldn't necessarily immediately get the 85mm f/1.4 unless there is some flex in your budget.
  • Thank you Neil..I have some flex but if I don't really need it, I am not gonna buy it..save my money for other things..
  • Hi LoneStarFranky,

I agree with Neil...I have both of these lenses....They are brilliant! The 70-200mm so very versatile as stated above...It'a also lighting fast acquiring focus...The 85mm 1.4 is a dream....When taking photos of your portrait at 1.4 the background is just melts away...unbelievable!!!!