Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Bounce Flash and Inverse Square Law

vincentvincent Member
edited March 2013 in general photography
In reference to article Bounce FLash and Inverse Square Law, What angle do
you bounce flash behind you, what criteria is used to determine the angle.

Comments

• ZenonZenon Member
    edited March 2013
    Wow. This may be one of the most interesting questions I have ever seen on this subject. I'd need to talk to a NASA scientist about this one :) Where is my slide rule and pocket protector? Based on this video my guess is the inverse square law has so little impact when bouncing it may not be worth the time to try and figure it out. By the time the light reaches the subject the fallout is minimal. But I'm not a lighting expert. One of my favourite videos on this fascinating subject.

• Vincent,

I think you can treat these two subjects separately. The bounce-flash angle depends on where you want the light to come from. I typically point the flash toward a surface slightly above and about 45 degrees to either side of the subject. Per the inverse square law, the light fall-off on the subject depends on the distance between the subject and the chosen bounce surface. The smaller this distance, the more dramatic the fall-off. Hope this helps.

Justin
  • Thank you for your comment
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    Here is the article I wrote:
    bounce flash photography and the inverse square law

I don't think the angle has anything to do with this .. it works on distance.
  • I guess flash head angle is a matter of personal preference(artistic). choosing
    your distance and bounce surface are the important factors in helping to
    create the correct exposure.
    thank you
    Neil