Welcome to the forum!

As an adjunct to the Tangents blog, the intention with this forum is to answer any questions, and allow a diverse discussion of topics related photography. With that, see it as an open invitation to just climb in and start threads and to respond to any threads.

Canon f1.2 50mmL lens

RubyRuby Member
edited May 2013 in home
Would this lens be a good one for portrait work and the odd landscape? Has anyone used it? Ruby.

Comments

• By all accounts it's an astonishing lens, though I've never used it. For full-length portraits a 50mm is fine, though personally for anything less I would use nothing less than 70mm on a full frame. Just me though.
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    50mm on a full-frame camera is too wide to give a pleasing perspective with a head-shot, though it does work for an environmental portrait.

Be aware that this lens exhibits focus shift for a specific aperture range (f/2 to f/4)
  • RubyRuby Member
    Thanks guys for your thoughts........great to get other views before spending money. Thanks
  • Neil vNNeil vN Administrator
    I wouldn't put any money towards a different Canon 50mm lens than this one.

But whether it is a focal length that makes sense to you ... that's up to you.
  • CorojoCorojo Member
    kinda useless on 5D & 1D frames (1.3 or FF crops) for 3/4 work. Maybe OK on the 1.6 croppers - alot of issues w/this lens. I'd pop for the 85mm F1.8.. Ed K.
  • jhilgersjhilgers Member
    edited May 2013
    My first recommendation would be the EF85mm f/1.2L II USM however, most people do not want to cough up the price tag that is associated with it. I have heard great things about the 85mm 1.8, but I have not tried it myself.

My second choice would be the 135mm f2.0L:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-135mm-f-2.0-L-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

It is a very affordable lens and I have to admit, I do prefer it over the 70-200mm F/2.8L II IS USM zoom lens for portraiture. It is a short lens and does not weigh a lot either which makes it a lot easier to hold for a long time.

The sharpness of images from the 135mm are incredible; the Bokeh is delicious! In a lot of instances I found the images this lens produces are sharper than those from the 70-200 lens.

Obviously because of the versatility and quality, I would say the 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS USM is a close second place choice.

• I have the 85mm 1.8 and use on a crop body. It's fast enough for indoor high school sporting events, but it works well for portraits. This was shot wide open at 1.8, background about 3 feet away with bounced flash.
  • jhilgersjhilgers Member
    edited May 2013
    Yep, that reminds me of the Bokeh of the good old 85mm; that's a nice shot. Really there is only one downfall to shooting at f1.2 - the depth of view is so shallow, I have to be careful because I miss the shot and end up with blurry eyes on a portrait. I normally check after each one by zooming in all the way on my LCD screen and check. Sometimes I just use an aperture of 1.4 or 1.6 which seems to eliminate most of the issues.
  • Thank you. You are right. There's not a lot of room for error at those f-stops. For the money, I think this is a pretty good lens.