black foamie thing / black foamy thing
|I use the black foamie thing (BFT) as a truly inexpensive flash modifier to flag my on-camera flash to give me lighting indoors that truly look nothing like on-camera flash.The piece of foam (Amazon), can be ordered via this link. I cut the sheet into smaller pieces.
The BFT is held in position by two hair bands (Amazon), and the BFT is usually placed on the under-side of the flash-head.
The linked articles will give clearer instruction, especially the video clip on using the black foamie thing.
Also be sure to read the article on how to bounce on-camera flash.
The results with the Black Foamie Thing and proper bounce flash technique, can easily give you portraits like this with flattering light, where there is no hard flash shadow.
articles about the black foamie thing:
- video clip – using the black foamie thing
- how to bounce flash
- the black foamie thing
- an example of bounce flash technique (cute baby)
- throw away the tupperware!
- bounce flash portrait – a consistent technique (model: Shawna)
- bounce flash technique – mimicking soft window light ( bride: Jennifer)
- bounce flash & short lighting (model: Noreen)
- bounce flash & direction of light (model: Carly Erin)
- bounce flash & catchlights
- why I use a light modifier that is black (bride: Heather)
- bridal portrait with bounce flash (bride: Stacey)
- directional light from your on-camera flash (bride: Laura)
- bounce flash photography & white balance settings (model: Roz)
- using the black foamie thing to bounce flash forward (wedding: Tatiana)
- bounce flash with and without the black foamie thing (model: AD)
- wedding photography – tips for detail shots of the wedding rings
- bounce flash for bridal portraits (bride: Christine)
- using on-camera bounce flash outdoors at night (wedding: Jen & Chris)
- bounce flash photography tip – bouncing flash towards a window (model: Anelisa)
- gelling your flash for effect (model: Bethany)
- directional light from off-camera bounce flash (Ulorin Vex, Monaco foyer)
- photographing the wedding processional with extreme bounce flash (Allison & Scott)
- how do you meter for TTL flash & ambient light (ring-bearer)
- bounce flash with and without the black foamie thing
- my favorite lighting setup to photograph kids indoors – bounce flash!
- wedding photography – detail shots, bounce flash & macro lenses
- flagging your flash to control back-lighting (model: Aleona)
- bounce flash: adjusting the black foamie thing as a snoot (Peiwen & Eric)
… and there are always more articles on flash photography being added to the list.
Of course, there is also a Facebook fan page for the black foamie thing.